
Luxury Redefined: Uncover Chengdu's Hidden Gem at the InterContinental Century City
Luxury Redefined: Surviving (and Thriving) at the InterContinental Century City, Chengdu - A Messy, Honest Review
Okay, folks. Let's be real. Travel reviews can be BORING. All polished prose and perfect angles. But this? This is about the InterContinental Century City in Chengdu, and I'm here to tell you it's not just a hotel; it's an experience. And, honestly? I'm still recovering. In the best way possible.
Let's wade through the info-swamp, shall we?
(SEO is important, right? Okay, let's hit some keywords… InterContinental Century City, Chengdu, luxury, spa, swimming pool, accessible, fine dining, review… got it!)
First Impressions: Arrival and Accessibility (or, the "Did I Bring Enough Clothes?" Moment)
Getting there was… well, it was China. Airport transfer was smooth (thank goodness!), and the car park at the hotel is HUGE – huge enough that I managed to lose my passport for a good ten minutes upon arrival. (Panic! Pure, unadulterated panic!) Luckily, the 24-hour front desk, manned by super-helpful staff (who, bless them, spoke excellent English), soothed my frazzled nerves. They even offer contactless check-in/out now, which is a win for germaphobes like me (and, honestly, everyone these days). And the elevator? Always a welcome sight, especially after hauling my suitcase that’s probably seen more countries than I have.
Now, accessibility is a BIG deal for me (and, you know, a lot of people!). The InterContinental Century City GETS IT. Wheelchair accessible? YES. (No, really, properly accessible, not just a ramp tacked on at the last minute). Everything from the lobby to the restaurants seemed thoughtfully designed with accessibility in mind. Crucial.
The Rooms: My Sanctuary (and Occasional Battlefield)
The rooms… oh, the rooms. Honestly, the first thing that hit me was the size. HUGE! Seriously, I think I could have held a small convention in the seating area. Air conditioning? Check. Blackout curtains? ABSOLUTELY essential for battling jet lag. Free Wi-Fi in ALL rooms? Double check! (And it actually WORKS. No more frantic searching for a signal when you're desperate to upload Instagram stories of your breakfast buffet haul – more on that later).
The in-room amenities were plentiful: coffee/tea, bathrobes, complimentary bottled water, a mini bar (that I may have raided), and a seriously comfortable bed. There were even those little extras, like a reading light and a scale (the last one, frankly, I could have done without, but hey, it's the little things, right?) .
Sadly, my room lacked an additional toilet, which would have been a great addition, and had a small but annoying imperfection: I had to manually turn on the water to enjoy my shower. Sigh At least it worked!
I opted for a non-smoking room, and it was blissfully cigarette-free. And, of course, there's daily housekeeping to keep it all looking pristine.
Cleanliness and Safety: Comfort Level: High Alert!
Let's face it, we're all slightly obsessed with cleanliness these days. The InterContinental Century City takes it SERIOUSLY. There's hand sanitizer everywhere, daily disinfection in common areas, and staff are trained in safety protocol. They even use anti-viral cleaning products. They even offered a room sanitization opt-out for folks who are a bit overly cautious. It was reassuring.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: My Waistline's Biggest Enemy (and My Soul's Best Friend)
Okay, buckle up, because this is where things get… delicious. The InterContinental Century City has a veritable army of dining options.
- Restaurants: There's a plethora. Buffet? You betcha. The breakfast buffet was a LEGEND. Asian breakfast, Western breakfast, international cuisine… you name it, they had it. (Those little custard tarts? Don’t even get me started. I may have gone back for seconds… and thirds…). A la carte options? Absolutely.
- Coffee Shop/Snack Bar: Perfect for grabbing a quick caffeine fix or a light bite.
- Poolside Bar: Ah, the true mark of a luxury hotel. Sipping a cocktail by the swimming pool [outdoor] while pretending you're not stressed about ANYTHING? Priceless. The pool is also an incredible thing to enjoy. It gives you a great pool with a view.
- Room Service [24-hour]: Because sometimes, you just want to eat pad thai in your bathrobe at 2 AM. This hotel has a fantastic 24-Hour Room Service option, which is a lifesaver after a long day of exploring.
- Vegetarian restaurant: The hotel offers a Vegetarian restaurant.
- Asian cuisine in restaurant: There is Asian Cuisine in the restaurants.
- International cuisine in restaurant: There is also International cuisine.
And they take safety precautions seriously – safe dining setup, sanitized kitchen and tableware items, and even individually-wrapped food options. (Though, let’s be honest, I still went for the buffet. #YOLO).
Ways to Relax: Spa Day? Yes, Please!
This is where the InterContinental shines. The spa is pure indulgence. They have a sauna, steamroom, and a variety of treatments. I splurged on a body scrub and a massage. Pure. Bliss. Okay, maybe a little too blissful. I may have… fallen asleep during the massage. Oops. But the pool with a view is an amazing addition.
Things to Do: Beyond the Spa (But Mostly the Spa)
While the spa was – let's be honest – the highlight, there's more to do. There's a fitness center/gym. Don’t judge me if I didn't use it… I had spa appointments to keep! There’s a swimming pool to enjoy too.
Services and Conveniences: Making Life Easier (Because Travel is Hard Enough)
- Concierge service: They arranged airport transfers and taxi services.
- Laundry service and dry cleaning: Very useful after a particularly messy buffet breakfast.
- Currency exchange: Convenient, especially after you realize that the nearest ATM is a 20-minute walk away.
- Meeting/banquet facilities which can be very useful
- Business facilities such as a Xerox/fax in a business center
- Gift/souvenir shop: Perfect for grabbing a last-minute gift or two.
- Daily housekeeping.
- Doctor/nurse on call. And, of course, the basics: luggage storage, safety deposit boxes and a doorman.
For the Kids: Family-Friendly? Absolutely!
The hotel is family/child friendly, with babysitting services and kids meals available. I didn’t need to use these facilities personally… but it’s great to know they’re there!
Getting Around: Ease of Access
Airport transfer? Easy peasy. Car park [on-site]? Plenty of space. Taxi service is available. I didn’t use the Bicycle Parking but the hotel offers it.
The Verdict: Worth It? Absolutely.
The InterContinental Century City is more than just a hotel; it's a mini-oasis of calm in the vibrant city of Chengdu. It’s a place to escape the chaos, indulge in some serious pampering, and, yes, maybe overeat at the buffet. It's clean, safe, accessible, and staffed by people who genuinely seem to care.
The Imperfections? Minor. A wonky shower here, a slightly slow internet connection there. But nothing that dampened my overall experience.
Final Grade: A solid 9/10. Would absolutely recommend. And, yes, I'd go back in a heartbeat.
READY TO ESCAPE?
Luxury Redefined: InterContinental Century City, Chengdu - Your Chengdu Adventure Awaits!
Tired of the same old travel routine? Craving a getaway that's both luxurious and accessible?
The InterContinental Century City in Chengdu is calling your name!
Here's what you get:
- Unforgettable Comfort & Style: Spacious, beautifully appointed rooms with all the amenities you could dream of! Start your day with a luxurious Breakfast buffet spread!
- Pure Relaxation: Indulge in our world-class spa, with rejuvenating treatments, and a pool with a view, perfect for unwinding after a day of exploring.
- Culinary Delights: Experience a world of flavours at our diverse restaurants, from Asian cuisine to International dishes. Enjoy a cocktail at the poolside bar, or order 24-hour room service for ultimate convenience.
- Seamless Experience: Enjoy super-fast Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!, impeccable service, and a commitment to your safety.
- Accessibility is Key: Wheelchair accessible throughout with rooms designed for ease.
**But that
Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: Ximen Le Room Hotel, Taipei - Your Dream Getaway!
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this Chengdu itinerary is about to get REAL. Forget your sterile, itinerary-bot bullshit. This is me in Chengdu, and trust me, it's a rollercoaster. We're talking InterContinental Century City Chengdu, baby, and everything that comes with it. Let's go!
Chengdu Chaos: A Messy, Honest, and Completely Unpolished Itinerary
Day 1: Arrival and the Great Noodles Caper (and a Deep Dive into Sleep)
- 14:00: Touchdown in Chengdu, finally! After the epic flight (which, let's be honest, involved me mainlining in-flight entertainment and a whole lot of tiny pretzels), I'm ready to arrive. Customs was surprisingly painless, which, if you've ever traveled internationally, you know is a win in itself.
- 14:45: Swerve the touts (always a sport, isn't it?), navigate the airport chaos, and leap into a pre-booked taxi. Praying the driver speaks enough English to get me to the InterContinental. I've heard the shuttle to the hotel is kinda a hike. Crossing my fingers, and maybe my toes.
- 16:00: (Hopefully) Arrive at the InterContinental Century City Chengdu. Okay, the lobby is…grand. Almost overwhelmingly so. All that marble! Honestly, a tiny part of me feels like I'm underdressed, even in my "travel chic" (aka, comfortable airplane clothes). Quick check-in, and pray to the travel gods for a decent room.
- 17:00: Room reveal! Oh, thank heaven, it's a good one. Big, luxurious. I'm tempted to just collapse on that enormous bed right now and never get up. But, NO! Adventure awaits.
- 17:30: Noodles. The noodles. After unpacking, my stomach is now yelling at me. I MUST FIND NOODLES. Pre-research led me to a small, family-run place down the street (fingers crossed it isn’t closed or, worse, just REALLY bad.) I’m picturing the perfect bowl, and I can't WAIT. This is where things get interesting. Remember, this is my itinerary, and my stomach ALWAYS dictates the pace. We're talking authentic Chengdu food, I mean. Don’t mess with Sichuan food, it's a matter of utmost importance.
- 18:30: Finding the noodle place. This is where the fun—or, well, the minor panic sets in. After a 20-minute walk, and speaking some broken Mandarin that I learned on my way to the trip, I found a noodle restaurant near the hotel (I’m bad at directions, so this was an accomplishment). The place is absolutely packed, but it smells amazing. SUCCESS! Except…the menu is all in Chinese. And nobody speaks any English. Uh oh. After some serious pointing, miming, and relying on my very limited Mandarin, I manage to order something. Hope it's not spicy. Or filled with things I don’t recognize.
- 19:00: Waiting for the noodles, I observe the locals. Okay, this place is the real deal. The noise, the chatter, the steam… it’s so vibrant! My phone rings, and I get a call from my sister, who's always on my back about my travel. She starts with, “So, did you get lost yet?” Me: Yes. Noodles are here!
- 19:15: The noodles arrive. Oh. My. God. They're…perfect. Slurping, sweating, and basically inhaling these noodles. It's a genuine religious experience. I did have to turn down the spice level, but then I tried an even spicier one just to follow through with the full experience. It’s pure bliss.
- 20:00: Back at the hotel. I'm exhausted. The food coma is real. Time for a hot shower and that big, beautiful bed. No judgment of my choice for a nap… maybe.
- 21:00: I woke up. That was an epic nap. Now I have a sudden craving for… more noodles? No, no, that's irresponsible. Time for… Sleep.
Day 2: Pandas, Tea, and the Quest for the Perfect Dumpling
- 08:00: Wake up. Okay, that was a good sleep. The bed IS amazing. This hotel, I'm liking it. Coffee, glorious coffee, in the room. And I have some delicious fruit, which I bought the day I arrived at the 7-Eleven (a lifesaver, by the way).
- 09:00: Panda time! Gotta see the giant pandas at the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding. This is why I came, isn't it? The hotel concierge seems to have arranged a car. Thank GOD, public transport seems complicated.
- 09:45: Taxi ride is a blur of cityscapes. The driver and I are doing our best to have a conversation using about 3 phrases in each language (surprisingly efficient). Excitement builds!
- 10:30: Panda paradise! It's even more incredible in person. The pandas are so…lazy. And adorable. And eating bamboo like it’s their life's purpose. (Which, let's be honest, it probably is). Seriously, I could spend all day watching them. I absolutely did spend almost the entire morning, and my sister gave me grief for it.
- 12:30: Lunch at a Sichuan restaurant near the panda base. It seemed authentic, and I was hungry again! Thankfully, the English menu was available. I had some weird, but delicious, hotpot.
- 14:00: Back to the hotel for a quick breather, before heading out again.
- 15:00: Tea. So, I'm not a huge tea person, but when in Chengdu…I must try a tea house, I thought. So, I'm off to the local tea house for the full experience. I had to get away from the Panda Base! It was very crowded.
- 16:00: Okay, tea houses are…an experience. The atmosphere is serene, the tea is…well, tea. The people-watching is fantastic. I swear, I saw some serious tea masters doing things with teapots I didn’t think were possible.
- 17:00: Time to find dumplings. My mission for the evening, the perfect dumpling. Again, after pre-research (because I am a planner at heart, despite this messy itinerary), I had a place. I'm going to find it.
- 18:00: The dumpling Quest begins! It's a little further out than I anticipated, but I don't care. I NEED THOSE DUMPLINGS! This time the area's a little less touristy, and I like it.
- 19:00: Holy. Mother. Of. Dumplings. Perfection. The dumplings. The sauce. The whole experience. Worth the trek. I may or may not have ordered a second plate. And a third.
- 20:30: Back to the hotel. Feeling full, happy. One last drink at the hotel bar, soaking in the atmosphere.
- 22:00: Bed. And dreaming of dumplings.
Day 3: Art, Markets, and Departure Prep (and a Slight Crisis)
- 09:00: Wake. Why did I drink that last drink at the bar? The hotel breakfast buffet is a beautiful thing.
- 11:00: Today, I want some culture. The hotel concierge recommends the Sichuan Opera Museum, which seems manageable. If you can't get out of the hotel, do it in the hotel.
- 12:00: Sichuan Opera Museum. Amazing. The history, the costumes, the artistry… I had to see a live performance. So, yes, it was that good!
- 14:00: Lunch at a small cafe near the museum. This time, it's not hot.
- 15:00: Some souvenir shopping, for family and friends.
- 16:00: Back to the hotel. The dreaded packing begins. My flight is tomorrow.
- 17:00: The crisis! I’m one souvenir short. MUST. FIND. ONE. MORE. THING.
- 18:00: Final dinner at a restaurant near the hotel. I have a little bit of a sad feeling.
- 20:00: Last cup of tea. Reflecting. Sad to leave, but happy I experienced it.
- 21:00: Bed, and a fitful sleep.
Day 4: Leaving Chengdu
- 08:00: Breakfast, final check of the room (make sure I have everything).
- 09:00: Check out. Goodbye, InterContinental Century City Chengdu! I'll miss you.
- **

Luxury Redefined: Let's Get Real About the InterContinental Century City, Chengdu!
Okay, spill. Is this place REALLY as luxurious as the hype says? Because, let's be honest, "luxury" can be such a load of… well, you know.
Alright, alright. Deep breaths. The hype... yeah, there's hype. And some of it... is justified. Look, I've seen "luxury" that felt like a gilded cage – sterile, pretentious, the kind of place where you're afraid to breathe too loudly. This isn't *that*. The InterContinental Century City (ICCC) feels... different. It's got the usual posh stuff – the HUGE rooms (seriously, you could get lost!), the fancy toiletries, the marble everywhere. But there's also a certain… *warmth*. Maybe it's the Sichuan hospitality, maybe it's just a really good design team. But it’s not the cold, clinical luxury you sometimes get. I felt... comfortable. And that's a win. Seriously, after a 16-hour travel day, comfort is practically a religious experience.
Tell me about the rooms... Are we talking "I need a map to find the bathroom" big?
Oh, you're in for a treat (and maybe a bit of a trek). My room? It was ENORMOUS. Like, seriously, I was pretty sure they'd accidentally given me a suite. (Spoiler: they hadn’t. Apparently, even the standard rooms are giants). I’m not kidding, I almost got lost trying to find the coffee maker the first morning. And the bathroom? Marble, a soaking tub big enough for a small whale, separate shower... It was ridiculous in the best possible way. One minor gripe (because perfection is boring, right?): the lighting was a little… dramatic. Like, "film noir detective story" dramatic. I spent half the time squinting trying to find my toothbrush. But hey, at least the ambiance was on point! (And I finally remembered to pack my magnifying glasses.)
Food! The most important question. What's the food situation like? And be honest. I have high standards.
Okay, buckle up, foodies. The ICCC has options. Lots of them. And most… were pretty damn good. Breakfast buffet? Epic. Seriously, the sheer volume of choices – from Western classics to authentic Sichuan dishes – was overwhelming in the best possible way. I may have, ahem, *overindulged* on the dim sum. And the fresh fruit? Forget about it. Mangoes and dragon fruit galore. Lunch at the Chinese restaurant was a revelation. Authentic Sichuan cuisine, not toned down for Western palates. My mouth was on FIRE in the best possible way. The fish with chili oil? Incredible. (Okay, maybe I should have ordered less rice... hindsight is 20/20, right?) I can't remember the restaurant, but the other restaurant that served Western food was good too. The steaks were cooked perfectly. But, there were some downsides. The Italian restaurant let me down. The pasta felt under-seasoned, and the atmosphere was just… blah. Not a total disaster, but a definite letdown. And the prices? Well, let's just say your wallet will notice. But hey, you're paying for luxury, right? You’re paying for a damn experience!
What about the spa? Because, you know, #selfcare.
The spa… Ah, the spa. OK, so here’s where things get a little… *complicated*. The space itself is beautiful. Serene, calming… all the usual spa buzzwords apply. It’s all that, except expensive. I went for a massage. The massage itself was good. Solid. But the therapist kept chatting. And I, as a person, value silence. So the whole thing got ruined. I understand what the situation, they are trying to be friendly. But I like to rest, and not talk. I felt bad for not talking back which is why I think the whole situation just felt awful. I’d recommend it, but only if you specifically request a therapist who understands the concept of “shut up and massage me.”
Did you get a chance to explore Chengdu itself? Is it a good base for seeing the sights?
Yes! Absolutely. The ICCC is well-situated. It's right next to the Century City New International Convention & Exhibition Center, that's why it is called Century City. I think other options are more central, but you can easily get to the main attractions via taxi or the metro (which is incredibly efficient, clean, and cheap). Panda research base? Check. Wuhou Temple? Check. Jinli Ancient Street? Check. Don't skip the People's Park. It's amazing to see the locals, the dancing, the games. Chengdu itself is a fantastic city. It's got a laid-back vibe, the food is INCREDIBLE, and the pandas are basically walking, fluffy perfection. Just… BE PREPARED for spicy food. Seriously. My tongue is still recovering.
What about the service? Is it that ridiculously perfect, slightly creepy, level of service you sometimes get in luxury hotels? Or something… more human?
Okay, this is a BIG one. The service… was generally excellent. Attentive, helpful, and genuinely friendly. The staff were eager to help, and they spoke in English. I got a bit lost one day finding a specific restaurant and a staff member, without any prompts, actually walked me, personally, all the way there. That's something. However, it wasn't *overbearing*. There's a fine line between attentive and hovering, and the ICCC managed to stay on the right side of it. No constant, unwanted offers to unpack my suitcase (thank god). A few minor hiccups – a slightly slow check-in, a forgotten request here and there – but nothing that spoiled the experience. Honestly, if I had to pick one word to describe the service, it would be: *sincere*. And in luxury hotels, that's rare. I'll take a bit of fumbling over forced perfection any day.
Any overall "verdict"? Would you go back? And who should consider this place?
Verdict? Yes. *Absolutely* yes, I would go back. In a heartbeat. Despite the pricey pasta and the chatty therapist, the ICCC delivers. It’s luxurious, it's comfortable, it's beautiful, and it's in a fantastic city. Who should consider this place? Anyone who wants a luxurious experience with a touch of authenticity and genuine warmth. If you're looking for a truly memorable trip, or a relaxing holiday and willing to spend a bit, this place is worth the splurge. And hey, if you’re going to Chengdu anyway, splurging is highly recommended. (Just… pack some antacids for all that amazing chili oil.) Honestly, I'm already mentally planning my return trip. Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I need to start saving for my next dim sum addiction..."

